my political exile in argentina

I am an american wife and mother living in self-imposed exile. These are my thoughts about my new life here in Argentina, the life I left in Connecticut, and my views of the state of the world..all hopefully written with a relevant voice and a sense of humor.

18 July 2005

Why must they do this?

I took my toddler daughter to her first cinema experience yesterday. I would say it was quiet successful. Georgie was excited, but not as excited as her brothers and I were for her.

We started off at McDonald's for a little pre-cine nutrition. Although, not surprisingly, there was infinitely more interest in the toy than the food. Perhaps that is a good thing. Then we navigated away from the Disneyland E-ride worthy line and picked up our telephone bought tickets at will call. Paid less than $1.75US for a barrel of popcorn. (one of the many bargains that can be found here). Sat in the mostly empty theatre and watched the universal slide show that tests your movie trivia skills. "Which actor did Richard Gere defend in the movie Primal Fear .. Answer: Edward Norton. Funny how my 5 and 8 year old didn't know that. I waited until we were sitting in our seats and happily munching on our popcorn to forewarn Georgie that the previews would probably be loud but that once the Winnie the Pooh movie started it would not be so loud.

Well sure enough, the instant the previews started the entire audience practically jumped out of their seats let alone their skins. The audience, with a median age of 4, was forced to watch a French Connection-like chase scene telling us the evils of pirating movies. Georgie was definitely concerned but I talked her off the ledge and we managed to wince through 3 or 4 cellular phone commercial for the same company. Which funny enough, I cant remember the name of, not effective advertising. Five minutes into Georgie's first movie experience we finally get to movie previews. Mercifully, the first one is a very funny and cute trailer for Chicken Little. All the kids are giggling. Next is a short but dark Harry Potter trailer that is borderline. Georgie starts squeezing me when some huge dragon like monster appears to incinerate a group of children. Believe it not the worst is yet to come...And this is why I ask, why must they do this? Why put a scary, aggressive and violent preview with a Winnie the Pooh movie? Kungfusion, while might be entertaining for adults, is not appropriate for my 2 year-old daughter. She especially didn't like the scene where some guy gets stabbed with a knife in his arm, and then another guy takes the knife out and puts it back in, stabbing him a second time. I am not sure what was more disturbing, the fact my Barney-fed daughter saw this or that it is played as a joke. Fortunately, the joke was lost on the kids.

Fortunately, we were able to put his all behind us and enjoyed a sweet, peaceful Winnie the Pooh movie that had no stealing or stabbing or Matrix-like plot turns. Or least I assumed it didn't. Thankfully, they turned down the volume for Pooh and I had a nice nap.

2 Comments:

At January 17, 2006 at 7:33 PM, Blogger mattyboy said...

Elizabeth,

I just read your comment on http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com about running over to Uruguay to process a visa. I'm here in Argentina and trying to get a work visa, could you contact me please? My email address is in my profile

My blog
http://suitcaseonwheels.blogspot.com

-Matt

 
At July 22, 2006 at 3:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As a parallel Argentinean cinema experience, when we went to see Land of the Dead (R-rated zombie film) in Mendoza, our enjoyment was somewhat reduced by a load of kids running around and shouting. Why do parents bring their kids to see things like this? Why does the cinema even let them in?! From the title alone, it's pretty obvious it's not a kiddy-flick!

I'm enjoying reading your blog, excellent stuff!

PS: If you don't want to get any more spam such as the above comments from "michelhunor685465435" and "markeriks5465416", turn on the letter recognition thingy on Blogger:-) I was just considering turning mine off, then I saw the spam you're getting and decided to leave it on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home